The International Max Planck Research School for Molecular Life Sciences (IMPRS-LS) is dedicated to the education and training of the world’s most promising young researchers in the fields of life science.
Our school’s particular research activities center around three distinct but well-connected research branches, our students and their supervisors strive to uncover molecular mechanisms regulating biological processes.
An application is opened:
- January 1st, 2021.
Deadline of application:
- February 15th, 2021 (24:00 CET).
Deadline for registrations:
- February 12th, 2021 (24:00 CET).
This is a fully funded internship program:
- Free student accommodation.
- Stipend of approximately 800 Euro per month.
- Free of travel costs to and from Martinsried, Munich.
Length and timing:
The internship is a full-time immersion for up to ten weeks. It takes place between mid-June to end-September.
Who is eligible?
We invite excellent and enthusiastic students with top grades from all countries to apply.
- Neuroscience and related fields.
- Molecular medicine.
The program intends to promote students early on in their career. We welcome applications from bachelor and master students.
Applicants need to be enrolled at university during the internship. Please note that the program is highly competitive.
Which degrees are accepted?
- Applicant with a 4-years BSc honors.
- Applicant with an MSc degree.
- Applicant of doctoral studies.
- If an applicant’s academic studying was not in English, a language certificate (such as IELTS or TOEFL).
- Temporary transcripts for degree programs, you are currently enrolled in.
- Transcript of a degree certificate for all completed degrees.
- Letter of recommendation.
- Letter of motivation.
- High school degree.
- Curriculum Vitae.
Remember that all information need to be submitted in English or German.
We also recommend the following documents:
- Certificate of proficiency in English (unless you are native English speaker).
- Information about relevant scholarships, prizes and awards (if you have).
- We particularly recommend a GRE subject test if you studied outside the EU.
- For applicants from India we also accept GATE.
- A GRE general and GRE subject.
- Copy of passport.
- A portrait picture.
Letter of recommendation:
Applicants need to name and invite one referee through the online application platform. We recommend that you personally contact your referee before triggering the email invitation.
- You will receive an automatic confirmation email, once your referee has submitted the letter of recommendation.
- Please ensure that the referee submits the letter of recommendation before the deadline.
Social activities inside the center:
During your internship, you will be a full member of the institutes with the ability to join numerous social activities such as lab parties, hikes, sports groups, PhD activities, the institutes’ summer parties, in-house lectures and much more.
How to apply?
Follow the next six steps to guarantee a successfully submission:
- Check your eligibility from here.
- Register online from here.
- Name two references from here.
- Fill out the application form.
- Upload documents.
- Submit application.
As soon as your referees submit a letter of recommendation, we will send you a confirmatory email. We will also confirm successful submission of your application through email.
- Please keep in mind that we can only accept complete applications submitted through our online application portal.
- Please do not send applications to the coordination office via postal services or email.
- We are not able to accept those application and they will not be returned.
The program committee will evaluate and select students based on their grades, research experience, CV, letter of motivation and letter of reference. The committee aims to announce their decisions to the applicants by the end of March 2021.
The number of internships is limited so the host labs will interview pre-selected students interested in working in their labs via Skype, Zoom.
First round of selection:
Complete applications will be reviewed after the deadline of application and a first round of selection will be carried out.
Second round of selection:
After successfully have passed the first round of selection will be reviewed thoroughly and independently by three faculty members of the research school that you have listed in your preference list.
Subsequent selection steps:
The most promising candidates will be invited to participate in subsequent selection steps. Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, those will be conducted using online tools.
The selection committee will finally approve the established matches between candidates and supervisors and will accept those candidates.
Related intern opportunities:
- Training at European Union Commission.
- CRG International Biomedical Research Institute Fellowships for International Students 2021.
- World Bank Summer Internship Program 2021 (fully funded).
- TechGirls Summer Exchange Program for high school girls in America 2021 (fully funded).